The Process of Getting a Diabetic Alert Dog
The process of getting a Diabetic Alert Dog from Heads Up Hounds is simple!
- Fill out the Contact Us form and someone will be in touch by phone as soon as possible! (We sometimes get large numbers of requests, so please be patient. Every request will receive a phone call or email response.)
- During the first phone call we will explain the process of getting a Diabetic Alert Dog or DAD, what makes Heads Up Hounds unique, how the dogs are trained, etc. We will answer all of your questions as well.
- If it seems like we have a good fit, based upon our phone conversation, we will email you the link and password to our Online Application. After you've filled it out, we'll review it and email you our decision within a few days.
- After you've been given the green light, we'll send you our contract. Just print it out, review it, sign it and send it back and we'll be well on our way to getting you your diabetic alert dog! Once we have your signed contract, you will have access to our fundraising support resources.
- Upon receipt of your $1,500 deposit you will be added to our waiting list (keep in mind we also offer fundraising support to help you raise your deposit, if needed).
- While on the waiting list you can spend your time fundraising for the rest of the cost (again, we offer great fundraising support and advice along the way). Our Diabetic Alert Dogs cost $8000 (including deposit, so the balance due at pick up is $6500 (plus sales tax).
- After an opening frees up and you're next in line, we'll go handpick a dog for your family. Our dogs are all perfectly matched to our clients, you tell us your preferences such as gender, color, hair length, size, etc. and we will do our best to find a similar rescue dog to train as your DAD!
- Your new DAD will be trained for public access, obedience, scent detection and night alert training.
- When your DAD has finished his training, you will travel to Omaha to participate in an individualized 3 day handler training session. First we train the dog, then we train the handler!
- After that you'll have a lifetime of support for your wonderful Diabetic Alert Dog!